Monday, August 6, 2007

Dreams vs. Goals

Let's talk about dreams again. It's one of my favorite subjects.

One of the reasons people don't pursue their dreams is because they simply don't know how. Unfortunately, the American educational system does a lousy job teaching our kids how to set goals and achieve them. So unless some savvy friend or family member teaches us how, we become adults knowing how to run on a treadmill and pass tests. (This in no way is a slam to teachers themselves, for whom I have the greatest admiration and respect. It's a systemic, cultural condition.)

We admire people who come from lowly beginnings to achieve great success, but do we ever study how they did it?

Anyway, I'll get you started. If you have a dream, before you can reach it you must first turn it into a goal. What's the difference?

Dream: "I want to be a rich and famous writer!"
Goal: "I want to write a novel that makes it to the New York Times Bestseller list!"

Dream: "I want to be a doctor."
Goal: "I want to graduate from an accredited medical school."

Dream: "I want to be a famous actor."
Goal: "I want to have a speaking role in a movie from a major studio."

Do you see the difference? A dream is lovely, but how will you know when you've reached it? A goal is concrete. It's achievable. You'll KNOW when you've gotten there.

By the way, many of the concepts I write about in this blog are gleaned from my favorite self-help book of all time, WISHCRAFT: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU REALLY WANT by Barbara Sher. I must give credit where credit is due. It's been around for about 30 years and is still in print, which tells you something. I urge you to check it out, as she goes into much more detail than I can do here.

Tomorrow I'll elaborate on goals.

Continually,
Kara

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So much of what we read today like "THE SECRET" is just a retelling of older books that did it so much better.

Like Wishcraft, Power of Positive Thinking, and Think and Grow Rich.

Kara Lennox said...

Annie--
Well, I have to confess I like The Secret. But I already had a foundation in Law of Attraction before I saw it. Someone new to these principles might tend to oversimplify, which is what a lot of people who misunderstood the movie did.

The book that prompted the filmmaker to make the movie was THE SCIENCE OF GETTING RICH, written in the 1920s--another gem.