Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Working backwards

One technique for tackling a really big goal is to work backward, step-by-step, until you arrive at a step (or several) that you can do right now.

Here's an example:
Many years ago, I set a goal of being a fulltime, self-supporting writer. At the time I had a fulltime job, I wasn't even working on any fiction (and this was years before I sold my first book). I would know I had reached my goal when I was able to resign from my job.

So I ask myself: Can I quit tomorrow?
Answer: Well, yes, but I would starve to death.
Question: What needs to happen before I can quit my job?
Answer: I need to have some paying freelance clients.
Question: Can I get those clients tomorrow?
Answer: No. First I have to convince some clients to hire me.
Question: Can I acquire freelance clients by tomorrow?
Answer: Well, no. I'm not even sure who to approach, and I'll need to think up ideas for spec articles for the magazines.
Question: Can I come up with a list of possible clients tomorrow?
Answer: YES. I can go to the library and the bookstore and check out magazines I might want to write for, and I can look in the Yellow Pages and make a list of potential clients (ad agencies, PR firms)

Of course, I was already working for a magazine, so my best lead was right under my nose.
Question: Can I write for my magazine tomorrow?
Answer: No, first I'll have to have a frank discussion with the editor about my desire to change directions in my career and write.
Question: Can I talk to her tomorrow?
Answer: YES. Another first step for my list of first steps.

I proceeded this way until I had a long list of first steps I could take, so many that I couldn't do them all in one day. So I scheduled the steps in my calendar. They included those already mentioned as well as working up a budget and a savings plan, brainstorming ideas for magazine stories I'd like to write, calling a few people in advertising I knew and asking if they used freelance copywriters, getting my clip book in order (mostly stories I'd written in college), finding out when the next romance writers meeting was, and dusting off my most recent manuscript, reading it through, and deciding whether it could be saved.

I can't tell you how invigorating it is to have a plan for achieving a dream. To have the steps written down. And to actually start accomplishing those steps.

I was able to quit my job within six months of starting this plan, and one year later I was making more money than my previous salary.

You just never know what you can accomplish until you go out on a limb and give it a try!

Profitably,
Kara

No comments: