Monday, August 13, 2007

Procrastination

I know very few people who haven't fallen victim to the procrastination bug. We all have those comforting behaviors we engage in when we don't want to get down to work. Whether it's an evening of TV watching or hours of mindless web surfing--or in my case, sitting on my deck and watching birds.

But the price for those couple of hours is stiff. We wind up with a heavy dose of guilt and self-loathing.

A couple of reasons we procrastinate. One is simply that we push ourselves too hard, and everyone needs, yes NEEDS, some veg time. Your body needs rest, and so does your mind. And if you push yourself too hard, sometimes your mind will go on strike, resulting in a sudden and seemingly inexplicable bout of self-destructive procrastination.

To avoid that scenario, schedule some veg time every week--window shopping, reading your favorite author, or yes, watching reruns of Friends.

The other reason for procrastination is a little more complicated, so I'll save that 'til tomorrow.

Oh, I know I promised more about goals, but this topic seemed much more timely to me seeing as I'm sitting here on the sofa watching Sex and the City reruns. Your You-Can-Do-It guru doesn't always practice what she preaches!

Lazily,
Kara

No comments: