Monday, August 27, 2007

Are you dreams big enough?

"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela
Former Prime Minister of South Africa

I love this quote because way too many people--most people, in fact--live too-small lives because they don't realize their true potential.

I remember when I was a young thing, I loved to write. I wrote short stories for my own amusement, and I even noodled around with a novel. It just never occurred to me that I could write books, sell books, and make a living as a novelist. I saw myself as way too average to do something like that. I figured my lot was to get a job that barely paid my rent--even though I was a college graduate--and survive.

Then I met a woman who had actually sold a romance novel, and my eyes were opened. I didn't have to settle. I could not only dream of being a published author, I could do it. Later still, I realized I could go for bigger dreams still. I found passion in my life by living large, and you can, too.

Passionately,
Kara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very similiar to my experience. I always wanted to write, but until I met someone who was actually published, I didn't think I could. Meeting her changed how I viewed myself and led me to join my local RWA group. Since then, things have been happening quickly for me. Hopefully, publication won't be far away.