Sunday, July 22, 2007

Balance

Sometimes we get so fixated on our goals that we don't think of anything else. I once had a friend--we'll call her Betty--who got involved in a multi-level marketing business (think Avon or Tupperware). Betty was very enthusiastic about selling her products. Every time we got together, she waxed excitedly about her sales goals and her schemes for luring new customers. At first I enjoyed seeing her so happy and animated.

But pretty soon it got old. I could no longer have a normal conversation with Betty about anything other than her business. She constantly badgered me to buy stuff, which I did at first because the products really were good. But eventually I found myself drifting away from her because she just wasn't much fun to be around.

I suspect I was not the only casualty of Betty's single-mindedness. I also would not be surprised to find out that Betty burned out.

Focusing on a goal with purpose and determination is a good thing. Becoming obsessed is not. So yes, work hard, put in the hours. Talk up your goals and plans to your friends and family--but not to the exclusion of everything else. Look for balance in your life. Sometimes it's okay just to forget about your goal for a couple of hours and kick back with people you love.

Your goals will still be there when you get back.

(Besides, you don't want to become so driven and self-involved that you drive away your friends and family. You want them there to applaud when you win your Oscar, your Pulitzer, or your first million dollars.)

Happily sipping my Margarita,
Kara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kara, I have to say how much I'm loving this blog and all the doses of common sense and kindness. I'm completely with you about balance. I've seen people go overboard and alienate those around them, seen people get way too competitive, seen others market themselves so much that they don't have time for writing.

Balance and margaritas are always good :-)