Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fake it 'til you make it

I've read the same advice from countless books and heard it stated in different ways from lots of motivational speakers. If you haven't yet achieved the level of success you desire, just pretend like you have. Behave as if you're already there. Imagine what it would feel like to be the person you aspire to be, then act that way.

I put this advice to good use over the past week, when I attended the Romance Writers of America National Conference. Now, this is the 19th such conference I've attended, and I can remember times in the past when I felt overwhelmed. So many best-selling authors doing what I want to do, achieving the great things I want to achieve. Editors and agents fawn over their big authors; contest finalists proudly wear ribbons on their badges announcing their achievements. Sometimes, I felt invisible.

For this conference, though, I decided to pretend I was some mega-important, household-name author. I figured, if I was making millions of dollars on my books, I would feel ultra secure, and nothing anyone said or did to me, good or bad, would have much of an effect. I wouldn't feel nervous around editors or agents, nor would I feel shy introducing myself to strangers or speaking in front of a group.

I am amazed and pleased to report how well this worked for me. I had a great meeting with my new editor, during which I confidently asked for what I want from my publisher as if I fully expected my needs to be met. I always seemed to be meeting up with groups who welcomed me into their conversation. My workshops felt like some of the best I've ever given. I certainly did not feel invisible or irrelevant or awkward.

Maybe I held myself differently or wore a different expression on my face, and people treated me differently. Or maybe this is all totally my perception. All I can tell you is, I was more relaxed and less anxious than I've ever been at such an event, and when it was over I was ready to go home and get back to work. (I even got some writing done today, unheard of the Sunday after RWA.)

So that's my advice for the day. Next time you have to go out in public, act like the person you're aspiring to be. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Associate with winners who are doing what you want to do. Smile confidently even if you're scared to death inside.

Pretty soon, you really will start to feel like that person you want to be, and from there it's a much shorter trip to actually attaining the success you deserve!

Have a great week,
Kara

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've used this philosophy in my professional life but never thought of using it for my writing life - which I want to be my profession.

I like it.

Kara Lennox said...

Annie--
Hmm, maybe not such a good idea to dress for the job of full-time writer. Your current employer might not appreciate seeing you at the office in your pajamas!

Okay, just kidding. If you experiment with this, please report your results. I really want this to be an interactive blog. I certainly don't have all the answers and I would love to hear readers' feedback, tips, advice, questions, whatever!

~Kara

Unknown said...

I believe that it works to some extent in my day job profession. I refused to believe that I had to be there for absolutely forever before I could move up. I worked hard and acted like a person in a higher level position. It must have convinced someone, because 7 years later I'm at the top of my particular job.

Only move from here is an executive level, but it would require my moving to another city. So, I'll be happy and content with where I am now, because I promised my kids I wouldn't move them again.