Thursday, August 9, 2007

What's important

My 19-year-old niece and her boyfriend are visiting from Iowa this week. Now, I love Pam to pieces. She is a very bright, very sweet girl and she's been so excited about visiting her Texas relatives. But I have to admit I was a little ... stressed at the thought of houseguests.

Why? Because I don't want to be distracted from finishing my book.

But when she arrived today and I realized how much she's grown and how little I've seen of her since she and her mom moved away from Texas. I felt guilty for my earlier negative feelings, and I decided to embrace her, her boyfriend, and her visit (figuratively if not literally). Who knows when I might see her again?

The book will just have to wait. We've been planning all of our activities (especially the meals--she has worked as a cook at a country club so she can teach me a few things!) I bought a ton of groceries today, and now I'm wondering why I felt even mild apprehension.

I'm always advocating balance, but sometimes I need to take a step back and take a look at the big picture! Remembering your priorities is important, because it's your loved ones who will be there when you go through difficult times and cheer your successes.

Success is a nice thing, but not if you have to enjoy it all alone!

Familially,
Kara

No comments: