Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"I'm too old to start ..."

It seems most famous people started out as child prodigies ... right?

Not necessarily.

When you read biographical information about some person who has achieved great things, remember that famous people have PR firms who emphasize, exaggerate, and downright make things up. You don't have to start learning or practicing something as a child to become an expert at it--famous, even.

Many famous people experienced failure after failure as children and young adults and didn't hit their strides until their 40s, 50s, or beyond. Here are a few examples:

Julia Child didn't learn to cook until her late 30s, and made her first TV appearance at age 50.

Rodney Dangerfield didn't get serious about his comedy until age 42.

Mystery author Raymond Chandler published his first novel, THE BIG SLEEP, at age 51.

Country singer K.T. Oslin released her first album at age 47.

Laura Ingalls Wilder published her first novel when in her 60s.

Colonel Sanders was in his 60s when he franchised his famous fried chicken restaurants.

Oscar Swahn won two Olympic gold medals in his 60s and one silver at age 72, making him the oldest Olympic prize winner ever. (His sport is shooting.)

Grandma Moses began painting when she was in her 70s when arthritis limited other activities.

With a few exceptions, it only takes a few years of focused, dedicated effort and practice to get good at something. Think about it. Yes, "years" sounds like a long time. But the years are going to pass anyway. Wouldn't you like to pursue your passion and be an expert by the time you turn 40, 50, 60, or whatever? You could learn a foreign language or start painting with acrylics, become a massage therapist or a wine expert.

Yes, I was young when I started writing. But I started cooking only last year (in my late 40s) and I'm already getting better. If I keep practicing and learning, I should be a good cook by, say, 2010.

You're not too old. You're never too old. But the time to start is now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking on your blog for a couple of weeks now and every entry has reached me in some way.

You're so right. It's never too late to start. And I love all the examples you listed that proves this.

I turned 40 last year and decided it was finally time to pursue my dream of being a published author. Since then, I've joined RWA, plus my local chapter and an online one. I joined a critique group. I entered my first writing contest. And I write pretty much every day. I don't know how long it'll take for me to get published, but I believe if I devote myself seriously to it, some day it will happen.

Good luck with the cooking! :-)

Unknown said...

I too decided it was high time to start seriously pursuing what I wanted for me after I turned 40. I have always written, but not for the explicit purpose of the pleasure of the story and the hope that someone else would enjoy it too.

RWA and my local chapter have helped me to see that I can achieve my dream with a lot of hard work and dedication. But, then would we appreciate it as much if it came easily?

Kara Lennox said...

Lynn--
I derive a lot of satisfaction knowing I did not take an easy path! If it was easy, anybody could do it, and frankly, I'm not anybody!

I wish you success and prosperity with your writing!